a while ago i posted about a diy vintage wood stain
(which you can see here).
i was so excited to try the wood stain on the edges of a wood block print,
which also happens to be a christmas present for my sister!
i did what the directions said.
combine coffee grounds, steel wool, and white vinegar,
and let sit for at least 24 hours.
gross looking, huh?
and it didn’t even work 😦
not sure why;
i may have gotten a kind of steel wool that didn’t react well.
this is the slight difference it made after 3 coats:
the top picture has such a defined line
because the stain would not adhere to the wood where a paper label was attached when it was packaged.
so, the type of wood you choose (and how it’s packaged) will make a difference as well.
quite the bummer, but i did salvage the project.
i painted the edges with an off white acrylic.
and let nick do his magic applying the photo to the wood!
here’s the end result:
it’s supposed to look a little vintage and torn up,
which i love,
especially with the right photo, like this!
one christmas present down!
i’ve got another project update on the way,
but probably can’t get it up tomorrow
because i’m going home for christmas!!